Global Chinwaggers
29 March, 2024, 23:16
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Chat Staff List Login Register  

Ketchup, sauces and condiments

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ketchup, sauces and condiments  (Read 550 times)
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: 26 July, 2009, 11:49 »

Ketchup: Red menace or culinary saviour?

By Shelley Fralic, Vancouver Sun

There was, in the household of my youth, a junk food embargo . . . Well, if not junk food, then food that was of an unhealthy, unnecessary nature or, worse, food that left the impression that the cook dishing up the daily vittles was unable or unwilling to provide the appropriate flavourful nourishment to grow the bones and brains of young 'uns.

Soda pop and fruit juices were a rarity in the house, for instance, unless purchased for the utility of alcoholic mixer, and thus a contraband supply was usually on hand, fuelling the parties that seemed to last from Friday night to Sunday morning in our rocking '50s rec room.

The household chef de cuisine, you see, was not only a party animal but also a mighty fine homemaker, and if empty-caloried junk food was out, sugar and salt and flour and butter and all those other evils of the modern-day dieter were not, for they were the bedrock of scratch cooking, of the baked, broiled, roasted, boiled, fried and steamed entrees and desserts, side dishes and rib-sticking fare that landed with heart and health on our plates at the dinner hour.

Ketchup in a kitchen like that? Not a chance.

Ketchup, you see, or so we were reminded regularly, was the red flag indicator that some bad cookery was surely afoot.

Its use, we were scolded, having tasted its taboo delights elsewhere and pleading for its inclusion on our daily menu, was a disguise for disaster, a coverup for blandness, and if a cook didn't have anything more clever than a bottle of ketchup at his or her disposal, well, shame.

And thus Heinz Ketchup -- because if you're doing ketchup, you do the good stuff -- was a banished foodstuff in our south Vancouver bungalow, along with barbecue sauce and its assorted ilk. (A1 Steak Sauce and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire, mind you, were afforded reprieve, perhaps for their Rule Britannia roots.)

So, what you may well ask, did one put on one's home-made french fries in one's formative years?

Well, malt vinegar. And mayonnaise, Hellman's actually, a vice that persists to this day.

But ketchup? Perish the thought.

Clearly, we were a neighbourhood anomaly, given that ketchup, or catsup as some would say, and especially Heinz ketchup, managed to take over the world without our family's help, having survived and flourished after 100 years on the market and even managing, judging by the cake (yes, cake) recipe linked to here, to make the leap from savoury to sweet.

Ketchup, like Kleenex and Windex, is now standard fare in most households and is used liberally to adorn pretty much any food, but especially potatoes, meatloaf, shepherd's pie, mac and cheese, sloppy joes and, of course, hamburgers.

But did you know that Heinz ketchup is a Canadian invention that began life in 1909 in a Leamington, Ont. factory, where today it's the second largest Heinz plant in the world and produces 80 per cent of all ketchup sold in Canada.

And that the 300,000 tons of tomatoes used annually for Canada's Heinz addiction are grown from special seeds and harvested in southern Ontario.

And that there are 25 tomatoes in every litre of the stuff, and four tablespoons of Heinz ketchup has the same nutrient value as one ripe medium-sized tomato.

(No official mention, mind you, that liquid sugar is the second ingredient listed on the bottle, followed by white vinegar, salt, onion powder and spices.)

Our family matriarch, of course, would ultimately lose the ketchup battle over time, as sauces and dips and bad-food coverups became sexier and more sophisticated and tastier, and as kitchen shops and specialty food companies tapped into the growing lust of the born-again kitchen magician, the amateur chef who was buying cookbooks by the box and tuning into the new heroes on the range, the Bobby Flays and Mario Batalis who invented televised food SPAM SPAM SPAM - I'm an idiot for trying this here on this board.

The condiment, at some point in culinary history, became king, and today we have jalapeno pepper jelly, hot granular mustard, caramelized onion spread, flavoured mayonnaise, Tabasco and its caliente cousins, and an endless shopping list of oils, dressings, honeys, relishes, dips and sauces that are routinely used to tart up the average meal.

And, of course, Heinz ketchup.

That, it turns out, is about as Canadian as a double, double and an apple fritter, given that behind Finland (who knew?), Canadians individually consume more ketchup than any other populace on the planet.

That would be 2.5 litres a year.

Whatever you do, don't tell my mom.

Would you like ketchup with your cake?

By Ted Whipp, The Windsor Star

To commemorate its Canadian centennial and thank Canadians for 100 years of support, Heinz has created The Great Canadian Heinz Ketchup Cake -- an ideal dessert for any celebration. It's red, perfectly spiced and delicious. Think carrot cake without all the work.

"We all think of ketchup as the perfect complement to hotdogs, hamburgers and fries, but its unique taste makes ketchup an ideal flavour enhancer for many recipes, including desserts," explains Amy Snider. The professional home economist and culinary nutritionist works with Heinz.

"Heinz Ketchup not only adds great flavour to the cake, but it also creates a wonderfully moist texture." Read on for ketchup facts and cake recipe.

GREAT CANADIAN HEINZ KETCHUP CAKE

The commemorative cake from Heinz tastes much like carrot cake and makes 12 servings.

CAKE INGREDIENTS:

2 cups (500 mL) All-purpose flour

2 tsp (10 mL) Baking powder

1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) Ground cinnamon

1 tsp (5 mL) Baking soda

1/2 tsp (2 mL) Each ground nutmeg and ginger

1/2 cup (125 mL) Heinz Tomato Ketchup

1/2 cup (125 mL) Water

2 tbsp (30 mL) Red food colouring

3/4 cup (175 mL) Butter, softened

11/2 cups (375 mL) Dark brown sugar, packed

2 Eggs

FROSTING:

6 oz (175 g) Brick-style cream cheese, softened

3/4 cup (175 mL) Butter, softened

1 tsp (5 mL) Vanilla extract

4 cups (1 L) Icing sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease two, 9-inch (23-cm) round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.

Stir the flour with the baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and ginger into a bowl. Stir the ketchup, water and colouring in a separate bowl. Set aside.

Beat the butter and blend in the sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in the eggs. Add the flour mixture and ketchup mixture. Beat on low, scraping down the bowl as needed, until combined. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for one minute.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until the centre springs back when touched lightly.

Cool the cakes for 15 minutes before turning onto a rack to cool completely.

Frosting: Beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla on medium speed for 2 minutes or until smooth. Gradually beat in the sugar on low, scraping the bowl as needed. Beat on high until fluffy.

Frost between the cake layers and over the sides and top of the cake.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Souly
Enchantingly Mystical Sylph
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2009, 13:02 »

Hmmm...sun shining, daffodils blooming, even blossoms...all signs of spring, thank goodness!!! Fed up with winter! This week I have had TWO salads...the first of the spring season, and one of them was with a balsamic drizzle that was simply delicious! I wanted to buy a bottle...but it's expensive...so here's a recipe I found to make my own, and it's DELICIOUS!!!

Balsamic vinegar makes a wonderful syrup when cooked down to about half its volume. You can drizzle this amazing stuff over more foods than you'd ever imagine" everything from roasted vegetables and salads to potato dishes and Pizzas.

BALSAMIC DRIZZLE

1 c Balsamic vinegar

You dont need to use an expensive brand of vinegar for this recipe. In fact, the ordinary, more moderately priced supermarket varieties work the best.

1) Place the vinegar in a small saucepan and heat to boiling. (You might want to open your kitchen windows-- this gives off strong fumes!)

2) Turn the heat way down, and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until the vinegar is reduced in volume to about a third.

3) Transfer to a bowl or well cleaned bottle, cover tightly, and store indefinitely at room temperature.

Drizzle...and I mean drizzle, not pour, over salads or roast veges...just heaven!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2009, 14:18 »

Oh...I forgot to mention...NO CALORIES in Balsamic Drizzle  Ecstatic
Report Spam   Logged
Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2009, 15:51 »

Home Made Onion Gravy (for vegetarians and gravy connoisseurs alike!)

1 medium-large onion thinly sliced
2 cloves Garlic - sliced or minced depending on how much flavour you like
2 tsp Oil
Heat Oil in a frying pan or saucepan and Saute onions & garlic together. As the onions start to colour up, deglaze the pan with a little water (2-3 Tsp) to loosen the settlement of pan, do this a few times until onions are soft.

1 Tsp tomato paste
1 cup water or vege stock or beer
2 tsp marmite
1 heaped tsp brown sugar or dark cane sugar
1 tsp corn flour, mix with a little cold water
Bring to a boil and then simmer to reduce to desired thickness.
Season with salt & pepper if you like.

You could also add peppercorns, herbs like parsley, wine, flavour up or has as it is.
Report Spam   Logged
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2009, 20:40 »

I made up an interesting, tasty sauce a few nights ago to go with chicken breasts which I'd baked or roasted in the oven.  I couldn't be bothered to stuff around so took a few short cuts, however it turned out to be very nice, so I thought I share it. Grin

Ding's Dijon & Dill Sauce (aka Triple D Sauce - I've just decided! Lol)

INGREDIENTS:
1 packet of instant white sauce mix (which makes 250ml)
1 chicken OXO (stock) cube
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (paste variety, not dried)
¼ teaspoon of dried tarragon
A shake of dried dill (approx 1/8th of a teaspoon)

METHOD:
Mix instant white sauce as per packet instructions.  (You could easily make your own basic white sauce for this instead.)  Whilst still very hot, crumble well and stir in the chicken stock cube, the mustard and herbs.  Voila, done! Grin

It was quite delicious and I added it to the roasted chicken breasts which I served with roast potatoes and sweet potatoes (yams), fresh broccoli and asparagus.

A word of warning though, add the dill cautiously as it is a very strongly flavoured herb.

Thumbs up

Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2009, 04:28 »

DDD  Eek Chicken breast feeding?

recipe sounds simple and nice...thanks Ding
Report Spam   Logged
Desmodus

Good post? 0

Combination Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2009, 21:47 »

Lea & Perrins recently came out with a new version of their Worcestershire Sauce that is thick like ketchup. I love it.
Report Spam   Logged
Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2009, 04:15 »

Pay for garlic salt? Not when it's this easy to make.

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Ingredients:
Garlic Powder
Salt

Preparation:
Just mix three parts salt to one part garlic powder to create garlic salt. Then, store it in an air-tight container

I get my garlic powder and salt from the bulk bins...much cheaper...but I HAVE done this when I have plenty of garlic from the garden...

Garlic Cloves
Preparation:
1. Peel your garlic cloves, and slice them thin.

2. Then, place the garlic slices in the oven on it's lowest temperature setting or in a dehydrator, and heat until dry.

Tip: The garlic is dry when you can crush it in your hand and it crumbles easily.

3. Allow the garlic to cool. Then, grind with a coffee grinder, spice mill, food processor or mortar and pestle until you reach your desired consistency.

4. Store your finished garlic powder in an air-tight container in a cool, dry spot or freeze....or add to salt for garlic salt
« Last Edit: 09 November, 2009, 04:18 by Souly » Report Spam   Logged
Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #8 on: 08 December, 2009, 04:36 »

Strawberry vinegar (or raspberry if you want)

500g fresh or defrosted berries (use ALL of the juice that comes with defrosting)
500ml white wine or white vinegar...your choice (I use white vinegar)
1/4 cup sugar

Soak berries in vinegar for about 24 hours. Fruit can be slightly crushed with a masher to help release flavours.

Transfer to large saucepan, add sugar and slowly bring to boil, stirring. Once boiled, reduce to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter vinegar.

Remove from the heat, cover and allow to cool.

This step here is optional...Put the mixture in a sanitized container, cover, and allow it to stand for about 2 weeks. I'm impatient, and don't do this step though...I go straight to the next and still get lovely results.

Strain through a sieve or cheesecloth and discard the fruit. Pour into sanitized decorative bottles and cap.

Report Spam   Logged
Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2010, 08:28 »

I've spent the past couple of weeks making chutneys and relishes (influx of fruit etc). Here are a couple I have particularly liked...

chutney
1.4kg peeled feijoas
500g cooking apples
500g onions
4 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon common salt
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 tablespoon tumeric

Add all ingredients to a preserving pan and bring to the boil, stir while sugar is dissolving. Simmer for 1 1/2 hrs Cool and pour into sterilised bottles and seal.

Yum!...and I mean YUMMMMM!!!

This one's good too...

Feijoa and Date Chutney
It takes a lot to beat this tasty chutney with cheese in either a bread roll or on crackers!
12 feijoas, peeled and chopped
2 onions, finely chopped
1 cup dates, roughly chopped
1 cup wine vinegar
2 cups brown sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp ground coriander
3 star anise
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
½ tsp chilli paste

Place the feijoas, onions, dates, vinegar, sugar, salt, coriander, star anise, garlic and chilli paste in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 1 – 1½ hours or until thickened. Bottle and cover when cold.
Report Spam   Logged
Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2012, 07:59 »

I suppose you could call this a condiment...it's eaten with cheese. In Spain, quince paste is called membrillo and eaten with sheep's milk cheese. I have just tried it with Brie - delish!

I made membrillo yesterday...I don't have a photo on photobucket, sorry. But here's what it looks like... (taken from the internet)

Report Spam   Logged
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2012, 19:35 »

Thumbs up

Plum jelly is great with cheese too! Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up