Global Chinwaggers
29 March, 2024, 02:53
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Chat Staff List Login Register  

Salt

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salt  (Read 557 times)
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: 26 July, 2009, 11:41 »

The A, B, Cs of salt

By Eric Akis, Canwest News Service

When I was a kid, salt was simple. It was fine-grained, treated so that it wouldn't clump, poured into shakers and plunked on tables to shake on food as desired. That salt, called table salt, also always seemed to be iodized.

According to the American Thyroid Association (thyroid.org), before the 1920s, iodine deficiency, which can lead to enlargement of the thyroid and other ailments, was common in many parts of North America. The association says that treatment of iodine deficiency by the introduction of salt with a small amount of iodine added virtually eliminated the problem.

Table salt, with or without iodine, is, of course, still around. But these days, if you go into a food store, you'll see the world of salt has become more complex, with many different types available and most no longer iodized.

According to the Oxford Companion to Food, salt, sodium chloride, comes from two main sources.

One is from mining underground deposits of salt. The other source, an inexhaustible one, is the sea or naturally occurring briny water.

How the salt is turned into something edible and where it comes from determines what type of salt you get. Beyond table salt, below are some of the other types available.

- Sea salt: It is available in fine grains, coarse crystals and flakes. It is made from evaporated seawater, by modern means or by more traditional techniques. Some of the latter include evaporating the water in coastal pounds and raking it up, or drawing the water into shallow basins and allowing the water to evaporate in the sun.

Less expensive, free-flowing sea salt sometimes has additives, such as anti-caking agents.

More expensive, traditionally made sea salts are usually additive-free and often contain other trace minerals, such as iron, calcium, potassium and iodine. The seawater from which they are made and the way it is processed affects the taste and colour of the salt, which explains why you'll see sea salt that is grey, brown and even pink in colour.

Pricey sea salts are often considered a finishing salt, something to sprinkle on at the last minute to enhance the flavour of a dish, such as a grilled steak or a ripe-tomato salad.

- Kosher salt: Is a coarser grind of mined salt, composed of irregularly shaped crystals. It is usually made without additives, but not always, so be sure to read the label if that's a concern. It's so named because of its use in Jewish food preparations. Many chefs and home cooks, no matter what their faith, like to use this salt because they enjoy its texture and less-refined taste. Because of its coarser texture, which won't perfectly pack a measuring spoon, kosher salt has less sodium per teaspoon than table salt.

- Rock salt: Is mined from underground deposits in solid form, or (pumped to the surface) evaporated and crystallized to the desired size, usually coarse. Rock salt is sold in some countries in its crude form, for use in preservation, as a bed for baked oysters and in old-fashioned, hand-cranked ice-cream makers. Rock salt is also processed to make it edible and suitable for everyday use, such as in salt grinders.

- Pickling salt: This salt, logically, is designed to be used in brines for pickled foods. It's almost 100-per-cent sodium chloride, and does not contain iodine or anti-caking agents that would cause the brine to become cloudy.

- Smoked salt: This is sea salt enhanced by the natural flavour of smoke. It's a seasoning that can add a pleasing smoky taste to food without smoking the food.

- Coarse salt: This is salt, whether from a land or sea source, ground into jagged, large crystals.

- Seasoned salt: Salt, from land or sea, fine grained or coarse, that is blended with flavourings, including herbs, spices and dried vegetables such as onion and garlic. A number of companies make seasoned salt. Read the label if you want to avoid those made with unwanted additives and/or monosodium glutamate.

- - -

ROAST SALMON WITH SMOKED SEA SALT, MAPLE AND WHISKEY

The salmon fillets in this recipe are flavoured with sweet (maple syrup), smoky (smoked sea salt), spicy (Dijon mustard) and alcoholic (whiskey) flavours. I served the fish with boiled, mini new potatoes and asparagus.

Preparation time: 5 minutes, plus 30 minutes marinating time

Cooking time: 12-15 minutes

Makes: 4 servings

2 Tbsp maple syrup

2 Tbsp whiskey

1 Tbsp smoked sea salt

1 Tbsp lemon juice

2 tsp Dijon mustard

* freshly ground black pepper to taste

4 (6-oz.) salmon fillets

* chive slices or sliced green onion for garnish

Place the first six ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and whisk to combine. Add the salmon and turn to coat. Cover, refrigerate and marinate the salmon for 30 minutes, turning once.

Preheat the oven to 425*F. Line a 9-by-13-inch or similar-sized baking dish with parchment paper. Place the salmon in the bowl, skin-side down. Spoon over the fish any marinade left in the bowl. Bake the salmon 12-15 minutes, or until just cooked through.

Plate the salmon, and drizzle with any juices in the pan. Garnish with chive slices or sliced green onion and serve.

- - -

KEY LIME MARGARITAS WITH A SEA SALT RIM

This is the classic drink made with key limes: tiny fruit packed with aromatic and flavourful juice. These little limes take a bit of time to juice. If you're too thirsty and think that will be too time-consuming, you could use the juice of regular, large limes in this recipe.

Preparation time: 20 minutes

Cooking time: None

Makes: 4 drinks

1 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice (about 2 lbs. of limes)

* sea salt

3/4 cup tequila

1/4 cup orange liqueur

* icing sugar to taste

4 key limes, for garnish

* crushed ice (see Note, below)

Pour 1 Tbsp of the lime juice into a small, shallow bowl. Coat the surface of a small plate with sea salt. Moisten the rim of a martini or other decorative glass by dipping it in the juice. Now coat the rim of the glass with salt by setting it on the plate with the salt and twisting it. Repeat these steps with three more glasses.

Place the lime juice, tequila, orange liqueur and sugar into a c**ktail shaker or jug and shake or stir to combine. Pack your glasses with crushed ice. Divide and pour the lime juice mixture into them. Garnish rim of each glass with a key lime and serve.

Note: I used my blender to crush the ice. About 18 ice cubes were needed to fill the glasses with crushed ice.

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Souly
Enchantingly Mystical Sylph
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2009, 06:33 »

Plain table salt (the lack of iodine/iodised) appears to be being blamed for a large jump in the number of goitres and major thyroid problems over the past couple of decades.

Now, funny thing is, when I was growing up, we always had iodised table salt, and I ended up with thyroid cancer. When I had the op, the surgeon said that I had had this goitre problem for several years before it turned to cancer. Seems the iodised table salt didn't help me much!  Undecided

This is one of the reasons I am not personally in favour of mineral or vitamin 'fortified' products. Why spoil something we already have by forcing minerals and vitamins on people who DON'T need them? These things arre available through a good balanced diet...no need for supplemental fortification of foods.

Your thoughts?
Report Spam   Logged
fastfingers
Frightfully Amazing Stand-in Tart

Good post? 0

Combination Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2009, 02:00 »

silly me....i always just thought salt was salt!

two things that have to have salt......mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.
Report Spam   Logged
Princess Eithel
Sunny, Centsible Siren

Good post? 3

« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2009, 02:57 »

This is one of the reasons I am not personally in favour of mineral or vitamin 'fortified' products. Why spoil something we already have by forcing minerals and vitamins on people who DON'T need them? These things arre available through a good balanced diet...no need for supplemental fortification of foods.

Your thoughts?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.  Unfortunately, the majority of people do not get a balanced diet.  Lack of nutrition education, time to prepare and money to buy the proper food inhibits  our ability to eat a good healthy diet.  I am all for additives, but I do think that a "plain" version should be available should one feel they don't need the extra boost.

Fasty, I agree with corn on the cob and will add fresh tomatoes and watermelon to the list.
Report Spam   Logged

fastfingers
Frightfully Amazing Stand-in Tart

Good post? 0

Combination Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2009, 18:33 »

tomatoes...yes....and cucumbers too.  But watermelon?Confused  Never heard of that.  Will try.
Report Spam   Logged
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2009, 18:54 »

Eep! I've never heard of salt being put in watermelon wither! Eek  However, I'll try anything ... once!! :lol

Other 'must have salt on' things which come to mind are:
  • Chips (UK/Aussie version ... French fries to you Yanks!) Tongue Whistle
  • Eggs, especially boiled ones
  • Avocado

Nod yes Thumbs up

Report Spam   Logged

Vixie
Virtually Iridescent eXoticist

Good post? 0

« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2009, 02:31 »

My dad was a true Scot and would only put salt on his porridge. I tried that once ... Yuck
Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2009, 04:00 »

My dad was a true Scot and would only put salt on his porridge. I tried that once ... Yuck

Lol

I put a pinch of salt in the porridge mix before it's cooked...it makes all the difference!

And a pinch of salt in a cup of coffee is surprisingly delicious (though I no longer drink coffee...but that's beside the point!)  Lol
Report Spam   Logged
Vixie
Virtually Iridescent eXoticist

Good post? 0

« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2009, 09:11 »

I put a pinch of salt in the porridge mix before it's cooked...it makes all the difference!

Yeah, I know about that, but my dad used to sprinkle salt all over the porridge afterwards ... Yuck

He bought us a haggis one Burns Night and we were horrified (knowing what's in it) but I cooked and served it up anyway and, funnily enough, we enjoyed it. Wacko Lol
« Last Edit: 11 September, 2009, 09:16 by Vixie » Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #9 on: 11 September, 2009, 09:24 »

Yuck to both of them!  Lol
Report Spam   Logged
Princess Eithel
Sunny, Centsible Siren

Good post? 3

« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2009, 14:15 »

Salt has many other functions than just regulating the water content of the body. Here are some of the more vital functions of salt in the body:
    1. Salt is most effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and, Contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure, it is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure - in conjunction with water. Naturally the proportions are critical.

2. Salt is vital to the extraction of excess acidity from the cells in the body, particularly the brain cells.

3. Salt is vital for balancing the sugar levels in the blood; a needed element in diabetics.

4. Salt is vital for the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in the body. It is used for local power generation at the sites of energy need by the cells.

5. Salt is vital to the nerve cells' communication and information processing all the time that the brain cells work, from the moment of conception to death.

6. Salt is vital for absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract.

7. Salt is vital for the clearance of the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, particularly in asthma and cystic fibrosis.

8. Salt is vital for clearing up catarrh and congestion of the sinuses.

9. Salt is a strong natural antihistamine.

10. Salt is essential for the prevention of muscle cramps.

11. Salt is vital to prevent excess saliva production to the point that it flows out of the mouth during sleep. Needing to constantly mop up excess saliva indicates salt shortage.

12. Salt is absolutely vital to making the structure of bones firm. Osteoporosis, in a major way, is a result of salt and water shortage in the body.

13. Salt is vital for sleep regulation. It is a natural hypnotic.

14. Salt is a vitally needed element in the treatment of diabetics.

15. Salt on the tongue will stop persistent dry coughs.

16. Salt is vital for the prevention of gout and gouty arthritis.

17. Salt is vital for maintaining sexuality and libido.

18. Salt is vital for preventing varicose veins and spider veins on the legs and thighs.

19. Salt is vital to the communication and information processing nerve cells the entire time that the brain cells work - from the moment of conception to death.

20. Salt is vital for reducing a double chin. When the body is short of salt, it means the body really is short of water. The salivary glands sense the salt shortage and are obliged to produce more saliva to lubricate the act of chewing and swallowing and also to supply the stomach with water that it needs for breaking down foods. Circulation to the salivary glands increases and the blood vessels become "leaky" in order to supply the glands with water to manufacture saliva. The "leakiness" spills beyond the area of the glands themselves, causing increased bulk under the skin of the chin, the cheeks and into the neck.

21. Sea salt contains about 80 mineral elements that the body needs. Some of these elements are needed in trace amounts. Unrefined sea salt is a better choice of salt than other types of salt on the market. Ordinary table salt that is bought in the super markets has been stripped of its companion elements and contains additive elements such as aluminum silicate to keep it powdery and porous. Aluminum is a very toxic element in our nervous system. It is implicated as one of the primary causes of Alzheimer's disease.

22. Twenty-seven percent of the body's salt is in the bones. Osteoporosis results when the body needs more salt and takes it from the body. Bones are twenty-two percent water. Is it not obvious what happens to the bones when we're deficient in salt or water or both.

To read more about salt and it's benefits http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm#1
Report Spam   Logged

DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #11 on: 14 September, 2009, 10:34 »

Good post above
Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #12 on: 14 September, 2009, 11:32 »

Great info Penny...thanks  Thumb up
Report Spam   Logged
Pootsie
Perfect Of Or To Sight
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 4

« Reply #13 on: 28 September, 2009, 02:47 »

I put salt on everything!  I never think to ask the question, but... if your blood pressure is OK, and your blood sodium remains stable in the normal range, then what's the big deal about avoiding sodium? 

At home, I do use sea salt.  Why?  I don't remember anymore.
Report Spam   Logged

Dance like nobody is watching! 
Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #14 on: 28 September, 2009, 14:48 »

One of my favourite old sayings....

All things in moderation

That applies to salt AND chocolate...so some choc is darn good for ya, ladies!
Report Spam   Logged
Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #15 on: 09 November, 2009, 03:57 »

Other things I have used salt for...

* Cleaning those difficult coffee or tea stains from inside the cup

* Adding a decent concentration to boiling water and pouring it on grass/weeds poking through pavers...helps keep them down for months!

* sprinkled around the edge of a garden (not near plants...burns them) helps keep snails and slugs away

* cleaning teeth

* to soothe a bee sting if I don't have honey around...wet the bee sting and then cover with salt

* to set the colour in clothes if the dye could possibly leech out

I know there are many more uses, but I can't remember any others that I have personally tried (however...the memory IS crap! Lol)

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: