Global Chinwaggers
29 March, 2024, 03:26
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Chat Staff List Login Register  

Parenting and Discipline

Poll
Question: Are parents hampered by laws over discipline of their own children?
No, not at all. I'll tell you why below ...
No, I don't think so.
I'm undecided or neutral on this subject.
Yes, perhaps.
Yes, very much so and I'll elaborate below ...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parenting and Discipline  (Read 337 times)
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: 28 June, 2009, 19:49 »

It seems to me that most people (parents or not) feel that politics and law has gotten in the way of the 'rights' of a parent to discipline their children these days.  Now, I realise that this is probably different from one country to another, but I do believe that 'political correctness' has come between parents and their children now.

Whilst I was lucky enough to be brought up with enough discipline (and love and respect) that a meaningful look from either of my parents would stop me in my tracks, and my parents have always said that they don't remember ever having to use physical contact of any sort (smacking, etc.), I do think that some kids need more discipline than they (a) currently get (in many cases), and (b) the law of many countries allows.

My upbringing dictated respect for your 'elders' and for 'authority' (teachers, police, etc.) and I always stopped to think about what I did as I 'knew' that if, say, for instance, I went home and complained that a teacher had smacked me, my Dad would be very likely to give me another smack and say that I must've deserved it!  He would've also gone to teacher for a full report and probably choked the teacher if it was unwarranted!!  However, the main lesson was RESPECT and knowing 'right' from 'wrong'.

Just to clarify, I am all for people being arrested and imprisoned for beating a child or any other form of 'over-discipline', such as starvation, etc., but we seem to have laws in place now wherein a child can sue their parents for trying to give them a decent start in life.

Should 'the law' be involved in parenting matters and, if so, where should the line be drawn on how much involvement the courts should have?  What's your thoughts?

Just before you answer, please bear in mind that this is a debate not an argument.  Everyone is entitled to agree or disagree with any point made, but personal abuse or snide remarks will not be tolerated, so please keep it on an even keel. Smile

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

smiliekiwi
Sizzling Hot Enthusiast
Global Moderator

Good post? 8

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2009, 06:50 »

you didn't vote dingbat?

Nice to see someone who understands that some children need just a 'look' and others need more.  So often parents who have been lucky enough to have compliant children, think that the parenting of other children is the problem.
Here they have brought in a anti-smacking Bill against 3/4 of the country's views. now they are running a referendum, the government are trying to quash, because of the wording. 
Smacks and child abuse are two different things.  And stopping a parent from disciplining their child, can  frustrate parents, and disrespectful kids can be the outcome.  put the two in the same room...

When our daughter started running away, we were told we had no rights to make her stay.  But if she broke the law....  we were responsible?
Report Spam   Logged

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
Souly
Enchantingly Mystical Sylph
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2009, 15:42 »

I'm in new Zealand, and am experiencing the same referendum that smilie speaks of. Personally, I think the 'non-smacking' law was never warranted int he first place, as a smack doesn't harm, in most cases...

Anyway...whether it's a non-smacking law, or a referendum to remove it and go back to what we had...whether it's a law that moves to curtail certain disciplinary actions or not...NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING will stop those who are determined to beat their children senseless. I sure wish the politicians would recognise this. Then we might get back to sensible, unharming discipline being allowed and remove the fear for parents to keep their children in check when required.
Report Spam   Logged
Pootsie
Perfect Of Or To Sight
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 4

« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2009, 10:03 »

USA.... same B.S. going on here!
I don't have any children, (never wanted any), but I totally agree that the lack of discipline is getting way out of control, and the laws are not helping anything.  Smilie, you had a good point when you said that NOTHING would stop those who are determined to beat their children senseless, so all the laws in the world won't stop this.  I had the occasional spanking as a child, and I'll be the first one to say I deserved it.  I would hate to be a parent nowadays, and be worried about the threat of prosecution because my child went to the authorities over a spanking!
Report Spam   Logged

Dance like nobody is watching! 
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2009, 14:20 »

you didn't vote dingbat?

I did now Wink but I'd better not 'elaborate' or I'll be here all day!!  :X  There are a couple of subjects it's probably not worth cranking me up on, and lack of discipline and good manners in many of today's kids is one of them! Roll eyes Lol

Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Enchantingly Mystical Sylph
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2009, 15:28 »

There are a couple of subjects it's probably not worth cranking me up on, and lack of discipline and good manners in many of today's kids is one of them! Roll eyes Lol

I'm with ya on both counts, Ding,,,can we add to the list the lack of respect?
Report Spam   Logged
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2009, 21:30 »

Oh yes!  Cool

Report Spam   Logged

m2g

Good post? 0

Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2009, 17:35 »

hmmm ... going to have to wade in on this one .. and probably in my normal subtle way Wink

I have worked with a number of kids over the years, and had lots to do with a huge range, from preschoolers to late high school, and I have found the majority of them to be a pleasure to teach and speak to. I now have 3 teenage girls living at home, and while I could happily state there arent many days I havent actually wanted to strangle at least one of them, they are basically good kids, especially to others! They dont steal, arent abusive, and most say they are a pleasure to be around. (occasionally even I have said that) I know of a number of kids who are less than civil (shall we say) to figures of authority, who cause problems, and yet will run up to me out of the blue and hug me.
I have found the kids with the least respect for others are the ones whose parents have no respect for anyone. The ones who mouth off at the police, who steal and cheat. The sort who hide things in babies prams .. and who quite frankly wouldnt know discipline if it hit them in the face. Its this type that the new rules are meant to stop, but they are the ones that never will. Meanwhile, one of my kids has said to me at times that I cant slap her, and I generally just clip her one and get back to what I was doing, lol ... but thats just me! Wink
I really think the biggest problem we all have is that no one is responsible for their own actions any more, and this has been the case for a good few years now. Doesnt matter what we do, its someone elses fault! Our mums, teachers, governments, whoever can be blamed.

Steps off my box, hands it back to dunny and leaves Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Pootsie
Perfect Of Or To Sight
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 4

« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2009, 09:45 »

I really think the biggest problem we all have is that no one is responsible for their own actions any more, and this has been the case for a good few years now. Doesnt matter what we do, its someone elses fault! Our mums, teachers, governments, whoever can be blamed.

I couldn't have said it better myself, m2g.
« Last Edit: 10 August, 2009, 09:46 by Pootsie » Report Spam   Logged

Dance like nobody is watching! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: