Global Chinwaggers
20 April, 2024, 09:17
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Chat Staff List Login Register  

Volunteering

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Volunteering  (Read 133 times)
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: 15 May, 2011, 20:39 »

Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share with us; good, bad or indifferent?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Souly
Enchantingly Mystical Sylph
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:49 »

Umpteen of 'em!  FAR too many to share here, so I'm writing a book! Seriously, female friends of mine have encouraged and urged me to write a book about my experiences from a marriage and health point of view, stating they think it would be inspirational to other women to be able to see how someone might move through certain issues, and come out the other side as an OK woman, able to live a pretty satisfying and peaceful life. I hope they're right!
Report Spam   Logged
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2011, 13:55 »

Good onya, Souly!  I'm all for people writing books about their life experiences.  They're usually educational (in a 'life' sense), meaning that people learn that others go through some harrowing (and good) times too, and help to make folks realise that they're not 'alone', invincible or other outcomes.  They can also be quite fascinating! Thumbs up

On the subject of volunteering, in an unofficial capacity, I always have.  I'm a sucker for helping people out with either advice, suggestions or physical help (e.g. moving house; packing/driving vans, etc.)  However, I have not yet offered my services on a 'professional' level, but have always wanted to.  My biggest fear in this regard is not being physically or mentally capable of being consistent for those in need.  By that, I mean, for instance, what if I am too ill to 'be there' when relied upon to do so?  I would not like to muck someone around due to my own failings, of which I have many.

Actually, that's not strictly true because, just over a year ago, I fostered a little dog from the local rescue centre.  I ended up adopting this dog, which put an end to being able to foster more (due to Council limits).  Roll eyes  Initially, I'd volunteered to proofread and edit their website (for free, obviously), which was loaded with mistakes, bad layout, etc.  That was met with something like, "'Joan' [or whoever it was] has always done our website and probably wouldn't want anyone else on there" (or words to that effect).

As I am now living in a smaller community, I feel more of an urge to get more involved and help wherever I can.  A while back, after seeing a 'volunteer wanted' sign, I enquired about volunteering at the local (volunteer run) hospital/hospice café.  I was somewhat taken aback when they told me that the volunteer they took on would have to do at least two (specific) days a week from 7am until about 2pm.  There was absolutely no flexibility about the arrangement!  As I couldn't guarantee my commitment to these times, sadly I did nothing further.

I am now wondering about being able to help the local 'riding for disabled' crew, but the same issues concern me, as well as the distance between us.  However, I could possibly help with admin or their website remotely.  With my health issues and subsequent worries, as well as my first couple of attempts at volunteering being 'rejected', I wonder if I should just let the whole idea go?  What do you think?

Reason for edit: spotted a typo! Oh my Tongue Lol

« Last Edit: 16 May, 2011, 22:08 by DingBat » Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2011, 19:35 »

I have similar issues, Ding, and can understand the concern about being available at the 'given' times and places that people are to 'volunteer' at. Some days are great, fine, no worries...other days are not. And one cannot plan nor predict which days are what! I would LOVE to offer services to people, but would also be concerned, like you, about not being able to be there for them when they need someone, because perhaps I'm in a position at that time to need someone myself. Does that make sense? lol

I have thought about next year, when I move towns, I would like to get involved with the local primary or intermediate school and help the kids (and teachers) build, plant and maintain an organic vegetable garden, with the produce being used in the canteen for lunches, and in the class for teaching children about nutrition and making simple and delicious food. It would have to be on a 'I'm OK to do this today' basis. I will approach them when I get there.

Never give up, Ding. There is always something for someone, I believe. Even if it's something like taking your dog to the elderly for 'pet love' day, or reading to children or infirm folk in the hospital. Find your strengths, use those, and make people very aware that you can offer time, but only on a 'well' basis. Never give up.
Report Spam   Logged
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2011, 22:26 »

Wow, Souly, truly inspirational words! Thumbs up  Thank you. Flowers for you Hug

Yes, your first paragraph made a LOT of sense.  When I need (and I mean need) someone, I mostly find that the best option is to simply retreat ... into myself, away from people, or whatever.  This is my way of handling things; unfortunately, this is largely due to lack of understanding/help from people when I've reached out to others at those times.

What's this about you moving towns?  I had no idea!  Perhaps you'd like to share (somewhere on here Wink)?  School gardens have become a really big thing here, and I think they're great.  With your knowledge, you'd be a fabulous volunteer for that.  Go for it, I say, especially if you can get them to agree to flexibility for your attendance.  I can't think why they wouldn't. Thumbs up

Your last paragraph reflects my initial comment.  You inspire me. Bless

I'm not sure if I've previously posted this here, and this one's been around a looooooong time, but I love this image (and you've reminded me of it) ...

Kiss wink

Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2011, 04:53 »

Yup...can relate to that, Ding...I tend to do the 'retreat into self' thingy too; seems kinda easier somehow.

LOVE that pic...have seen it before and I know I have had times when I am definitely that damn frog!  Lol

Yes, I will be moving towns next year. I have come through some pretty tough times and have spent the past 39 years putting others first (which is natural for me, not a problem). Now it's time for me, and I want to create a new existence for myself, one which brings all of my passions together. I am moving more rural, to a farming town, and hopefully will find the property I need to spend time becoming more self sufficient. I would like to create a larger version of my small organic vegetable garden, that I have here, and a) grow my own food (including chooks and eggs), b) sell excess produce at the gate and c) provide excess produce to the local foodbank. As far as the foodbank is concerned, I am a great believer that charity is necessary, but only in emergencies. It's better to teach people to plug those gaps, so I would like to teach people how to create their own food gardens easily. you know 'give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime'.

I'm a herbalist too, so I want to grow and sell culinary and medicinal herbs and teach people how to use them. I have also created a range of blended culinary herbs for every occasion, and I will start marketing them next year.

As well, of course, there is my spiritual art, which I will continue. I would love to have a home gallery..time will tell. And also, my passion for natural healing...perhaps a clinic at home.

If finances permit, I would like solar heating, and a wind turbine for battery stored electricity, so that I can get off the main grid. I am learning, at the moment, how to build a cob oven - google them, they're great!

I am writing a book at the moment, as I said, and this will lead to another. I also have lots of ideas in my head about 'pun' books, inspired by a thread we used to have on the Hike The Kilt forum.

So it seems, as my son heads off to university next year, I won't be resting on any laurels. I will be out there doing all the things I love doing, on the days I can do them, of course. I believe that pursuing our passions brings about inner happiness and therefore better health - so watch out world!
Report Spam   Logged
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2011, 21:08 »

Holy Nellie!  I'll have to read all that again a few times to take it all in!! Whoosh ...  Just can't manage it right now though ... have had a Red wine or two Two pot screamer and am very tired. Tiring  Sounds fab tho! Thumbs up

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: