Global Chinwaggers
20 April, 2024, 18:45
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Chat Staff List Login Register  

'Common' sense and manners

Poll
Question: Are these two things gradually disappearing from our society?
Common sense - Yes
Manners - Yes
Both - Yes
Common sense - No
Manners - No
Both - No
Undecided / Other: I'll add my two cents worth below!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Common' sense and manners  (Read 147 times)
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: 26 December, 2010, 10:11 »

These two things are a bit of a pet peeve for me as I'm convinced that both 'common' sense and good manners are vanishing from our society at a rapid rate, sadly.

You're allowed up to three votes for this one because you may think that one is and one isn't disappearing, etc.  You may even prefer to change your vote after some discussion Blink so that's been allowed here too. Grin

Feel free to use this thread for future complaints or compliments about either common sense (which I call 'rare sense' now!) or good manners.

I won't rant ... yet!  But I'm sure I will have a few rants on here from time to time. Whistle Lol

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2010, 10:25 »

Quote from: Author Unknown
The Demise of Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life but died in the United States from heart failure on the beginning of the new millennium. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness.

For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.  Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second.  A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing, whole language, and "new maths". But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus. In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well intentioned, but overbearing regulations.  He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers.  His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition. It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parents when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than their victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sport. Finally, when a woman, failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, was awarded a huge settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel. As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic, but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations, such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.  He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights, and I am a Whiner. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Author Unknown

Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Enchantingly Mystical Sylph
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2011, 14:49 »

Common sense, common decency, and respect for others and their property...ALL are disappearing! My biggest peeve is the respect thing. I will save my rant about it for another time...but I thought I would throw that one in for starters lol
Report Spam   Logged
Souly
Enchantingly Mystical Sylph
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:54 »

Common sense and Manners....both of which are seriously lacking in 95% of iSketch players! Wow...I thought I had seen a lot as a player, but as an admin, it surely opens one's eyes! Where on earth has this all gone? Are parents even TEACHING their children these decencies? How proud of their little offsprings are they?

In addition, I am simply astounded at the amount of pure hatred and racism there is out there. I thought this world was coming together, but I can promise you,  there is little evidence, going by what I see on iSketch. It's very sad...sad for our children, grandchildren and for all generations to come. Heaven knows where it is all leading.
Report Spam   Logged
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2011, 13:23 »

That's one of the reason I no longer go on iSketch.  That they won't use foul word filters and allow any name to be used, e.g. the 'f' and 'c' words, totally disgusts me.  It is ignorant, disrespectful and intolerable as far as I'm concerned.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: