Global Chinwaggers
29 March, 2024, 06:32
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Chat Staff List Login Register  

Kiwi Roll Call

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kiwi Roll Call  (Read 883 times)
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: 04 September, 2010, 10:19 »

OMG OMG, I've just read about the earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand, this morning. Eek

Smilie and Souly (do we have any other current Kiwi members?) please let us know that you are okay and whether you've suffered any damage as a result of this quake.  The papers say that no-one's been seriously injured or killed, thank heavens, but are you okay?

Sending you positive karma. Group hug

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2010, 10:29 »

I meant to say that I'm reading reports that the quake was anything from 7 to 7.4 on the Richter scale.  Here's a link to "what's working and what's not" for anyone interested, but there's loads of news out there.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10671070

Report Spam   Logged

smiliekiwi
Sizzling Hot Enthusiast
Global Moderator

Good post? 8

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2010, 18:04 »

Hello from Christchurch!!

If you look at the photo's they are pretty grim...  But it is mainly the older houses and older areas.. the city centre is cordened off.   some areas all chimney's have collapsed. 
But we are all good.  no damage.. just loss of sleep.
Woke at 4.35 to a good ol' shake.  apparently the worst I've ever had.  I used to be terrified of these things, but now a mixture of experience and faith I haven't been worried at all.  (oh a little for my grandson, as I knew his mum would not be very brave)
We've had all the family around.. which is a bit of a bonus.
We are still having 'aftershocks' which are as bad as any earthquake I've felt before Undecided 
It will take the city a while to clean up, demolish, rebuild again.
But there has been no deaths (would have been a completely different story if it happened during the day!)
Thanks for your care and concern
Still Smilie!!
Report Spam   Logged

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2010, 20:03 »

Good onya, Smilie, and thanks so much for letting us know that you're safe and unscathed. Thumbs up  I've been thinking about you all day. Hug

Read about a man who was seriously injured by a falling chimney and another (both in their 50s) who has also sustained some nasty injuries.  Yes, thank heavens this happened at the time it did.  Could've been a LOT worse.  Ooo

For anyone interested, here's a link to some photos around Christchurch since the quake.  It's very slow loading (not surprisingly!) but worth the wait for some incredible pix. Unsure

I hope that the news from NZ continues to be 'good' insofar as people and animals being hurt is concerned.  Sending all kiwis our best wishes from Aussie.  If there's any way we can help, we will. Nod yes

Oh, and Smilie, now that you're under a 7am to 7pm curfew, MrSmilie might like to take advantage of the 'after shocks' and see if he can't give you a better 'shake' than this morning's one!!! Leer Woot Whistle Giggle

Really pleased to hear that you're okay. Kissed

Report Spam   Logged

Pootsie
Perfect Of Or To Sight
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 4

« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2010, 09:42 »

Oh, and Smilie, now that you're under a 7am to 7pm curfew, MrSmilie might like to take advantage of the 'after shocks' and see if he can't give you a better 'shake' than this morning's one!!! Leer Woot Whistle Giggle

DINGY!!!!   Eek Lol

I wasn't sure exactly what cities my kiwi friends live in, but, Smilie, I'm sure glad that you're doing OK!  Now we need to hear from Souly....
Report Spam   Logged

Dance like nobody is watching! 
smiliekiwi
Sizzling Hot Enthusiast
Global Moderator

Good post? 8

« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2010, 09:52 »

Souly is further North,  where we had the Hugest earthquake in the 30's.   I think they would have felt it,  but no damage would have been done.

Off down south for a couple of days.   will catch up with you all later

xxxxx
Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Enchantingly Mystical Sylph
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2010, 14:03 »

Hi everyone, yep, we're fine here. We did feel the shake, but nothing like they did in Christchurch, only enough to wake me up, not startlingly. Nothing even off the shelves here. Great to here everything's fine, smilie, though I knew you were ok, cos I heard from Ali.

Sorry I couldn't post earlier...I tried to! I was out of town and for some reason I couldn't log in. I couldn't remember my password, so have had to wait until I got home to be able to reset it.

Prayers and love go to all in Christchurch.

Report Spam   Logged
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #7 on: 06 September, 2010, 10:26 »

DINGY!!!!   Eek Lol

Evil laugh Rolling on floor laughing Wellllllll, someone had to lighten the mood a tad! Nosepicker

Tongue wag Lol

Report Spam   Logged

DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #8 on: 06 September, 2010, 10:29 »

Hi everyone, yep, we're fine here. We did feel the shake, but nothing like they did in Christchurch, only enough to wake me up, not startlingly. Nothing even off the shelves here. Great to here everything's fine, smilie, though I knew you were ok, cos I heard from Ali.

Sorry I couldn't post earlier...I tried to! I was out of town and for some reason I couldn't log in. I couldn't remember my password, so have had to wait until I got home to be able to reset it.

Prayers and love go to all in Christchurch.

Ah, brill; both of our kiwi chicks okay. Bless

Thanks for updating us, Souly. Hug

Smilie, have you still got power, water and sewerage?  Or have you been affected by the broken pipes and systems that we're hearing about?

Report Spam   Logged

smiliekiwi
Sizzling Hot Enthusiast
Global Moderator

Good post? 8

« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2010, 17:41 »

We got everything... plus extra family , as they don't want to go home..
We having after shakes... over 100, and some of them are up 5.4 , so I cut my trip short and returned home.  Has been relatively calm since my return, but for some odd reason the worst ones are in the middle of the night.
We are having to boil water, but that is no hardship.
Schools closed till next week
people slowly going back to work.

don't know where all the unhoused people are going to go..  Unsure
Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #10 on: 08 September, 2010, 18:18 »

Since smilie's post, there have been some rather large after shocks, one this morning that was much shallower than any previousl aftershocks (and therefore felt more strongly than most), causing renewed frayed nerves . More building damage is coming to light with each aftershock, having been weakened by previous ones and getting worse each time. The city is simply changing...and this is a very defining moment for Christchurch and surround small towns, some of which have now changed forever, with historic buildings either destroyed or condemned and will have to come down. It's a horrific situation, and one which will take a LONG time to get over, physically, financially, emotionally...the works. I feel for them all! If this has not touched EVERY person in New Zealand, then some people must be super self centred!

My area has had 3 quakes yesterday too...puts us on edge, knowing what Christchurch has suffered, and still is. Ours paled to insignificance in comparison, but it served to heighten awareness, alertness and nerves!

Love and prayers to everyone in Canterbury...especially smilie and family.
Report Spam   Logged
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #11 on: 09 September, 2010, 10:54 »

Thanks for the updates, ladies. Grin

I'm still following anything which hits our news in Australia.  One brilliant thing I've just found from the following newspaper article is www.mapquake.co.nz.  A great idea and resource for anyone living in or travelling to the Christchurch area. Thumbs up

Google maps assisting NZ Christchurch and Canterbury quake victims
By staff writers | From: AAP | September 09, 2010 7:56AM

A GOOGLE Map has been created by a Wellington man to help people in Canterbury find out what services and shops are open, and what roads and bridges are closed, following Saturday's devastating 7.1 earthquake and its hundreds of aftershocks.

Anyone can add information to the map, which is continuously being updated.

The Google Map, which can easily be found at www.mapquake.co.nz, contains around 150 points of interest and had more than 30,000 visitors yesterday.

Map creator David Knight said although he lives in Wellington, he wanted to find some way of assisting quake victims.

He was aware similar technology was used extensively during other international crises, such as the Haitian earthquake and Australia's Victorian bushfires, so he thought he'd kickstart one for Canterbury.

"The great thing about this map is that everyone with internet access can view it and contribute to it," said Knight.

"It's a resource for people who live in Canterbury, but these same people can actually add content. In fact, it's the locals who have the most accurate, up-to-date information, so there is no one else better placed to do it."

Knight said anything from points of interest, to movies and photos could be added.

"For example, the map currently shows where police the cordon is, where people can find port-a-loos, welfare centres, free wi-fi hot spots and food retailers - but anything can be added and it's easy to do.

"If locals see something and think their neighbours, family or friends need to know about it - they can go to www.mapquake.co.nz , use their Google user name to sign in, select 'edit', click on the blue pin point at the top of the map and place it where their point of interest is."

Knight said while councils were doing a great job, they were stretched to maximum capacity at the moment and could not possibly capture and publish every piece of information, but with the map everyone could contribute.

Report Spam   Logged

smiliekiwi
Sizzling Hot Enthusiast
Global Moderator

Good post? 8

« Reply #12 on: 09 September, 2010, 15:36 »

Smile  don't have to boil water anymore
:'( seeing old historic buildings shattered
Smile after shocks reducing... was starting to think daughter and boyfriend my return to flat... they are camping out in our lounge... I have seen the carpet twice in the last four days...
Sad Just had a decent sized one..
they really don't bother me at all, but since daughters flat is on the second story it multiplies the effect  so I really do what them to diminish so she's happy to go home.
Uni has extended it's mid term break by two weeks
Hubby doesn't return to work till monday (which he's delighted as he has made great progress on the deck Smile  )
The night and day classes I go to have been cancelled... it's rather quiet... But oh I look forward to having my house to myself again!!
Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #13 on: 10 September, 2010, 05:20 »

While they are not the sort of earlier earthquakes that Christchurch has had, we have had 4 earthquakes here in Hawkes Bay over the past couple of days. (3.3, 3.8, 4.3 and 5.3). A friendly (?!) Mother Earth reminder that none of us are exempt! And that we should remain prepared.

I have always had an emergency kit - loooooooooong before it was fashionable to do so, and most certainly it used to be a constant subject of ridicule by family, friends and others. Even here, in the past couple of years, when and as I fill large bottles with water and store them, my neighbours have actually given their giggles at my 'sillyness'. I wonder what they think now?!  Mind you, I did do a bit of updating yesterday - cycled the tinned food to make sure it's all fresh and ready for the next 6 months, checked the batteries etc.

Even WITH that in place, it is unnerving. One is never REALLY sure where to store this stuff safely. If it's in the garage, out of the sun, will the garage door open after an earthquake? If it's indoors, will the place still be standing? Will cupboard doors open? Will china cabinets fall and block access? Heck! Who knows?!

Culmination is, Mother Nature is a force to be reckoned with when she's really peeved! And no-one can predict HOW much she is going to throw her weight around when she does....so it's all speculation and relies heavily on luck and hope.

I rarely watch the news...it's mostly negative piffle that doesn't figure on my radar. But Christchurch is dear to my heart (I used to live and work there) and it is a beautiful city that has been totally changed...forever! I watch and listen to everything that is happening, with interest, love, angst, sorrow, joy, sadness...and this morning, even a darn good laugh! A man, whose house has moved a little, has painted on the side of his home "THIS HOUSE ROCKS!" What a wonderful sense of humour! Bless his lovely soul!
Report Spam   Logged
Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #14 on: 13 September, 2010, 06:20 »

Shallow aftershocks continue to rock Christchurch and surrounding districts/towns. I can only imagine the frayed nerves, lack of sleep and uncertainty surrounding it all.

Love and blessings to you and your family, smilie.
Report Spam   Logged
smiliekiwi
Sizzling Hot Enthusiast
Global Moderator

Good post? 8

« Reply #15 on: 13 September, 2010, 10:20 »

Smile
Interesting times.
Helped out at one of the refuge centres.A lot of people are staying at them as they are afraid to go home.  the donated food and stuff coming in was inspiring.
Houses and sections suffered 'sand volcanoes' water forced up sand from below the ground into the houses and properties.  (isn't there something written about not building on sand? )  Friends who helped dig some out (there are hundreds of volunteers, the university students who can not return to uni till next monday are out there doing there bit) any way, my friends told me it was like cornflour.  you know how it goes hard when it's wet?  that it was hard to get spades into, and the suction squelshing when you pull it out. the when it is on the wheelbarrow, it doesn't tip out, but sticks into it, so it has to be dug out.
Some areas are Really badly affected,  it is surreal.
Me?  Well the after shocks don't bother me a bit..... expect, that my daughter and boyfriend and GS are staying.  And she is not the easiest person to live with.  So I am wishing they will stop.
(but they really aren't doing any harm.. it's just the earth settling back into place I think.)
Thank you for thinking of us...
SK
Report Spam   Logged

Sheila248
Chinwaggers

Good post? 6

« Reply #16 on: 13 September, 2010, 14:23 »

{{{Hugs}}}  Smilie and Souly, glad to hear that you are safe.
Report Spam   Logged

smiliekiwi
Sizzling Hot Enthusiast
Global Moderator

Good post? 8

« Reply #17 on: 15 September, 2010, 05:10 »

No Aftershocks for 11 hours!!   Grin
The SUN shone and I got some washing DRY the old fashioned way!

Two aftershocks last night Sad

http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html     
Report Spam   Logged

DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

« Reply #18 on: 15 September, 2010, 23:35 »

Oh my Crikey!  I had no idea you were getting as many after shocks as that! Blink

Report Spam   Logged

smiliekiwi
Sizzling Hot Enthusiast
Global Moderator

Good post? 8

« Reply #19 on: 16 September, 2010, 06:51 »

Last night....

Thu, Sep 16 2010 7:24 am
  Magnitude: 3.5

Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:58 am

Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:37 am
 Magnitude: 3.7

Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:04 am
 Magnitude: 3.4

Thu, Sep 16 2010 4:35 am
Magnitude: 4.3

Thu, Sep 16 2010 3:13 am
 Magnitude: 4.5

Wed, Sep 15 2010 11:23 pm

Apparently it's normal (when you hear of earthquakes over seas they do mention them eh?  but I have never known that there are hundreds of them!)   
There are a lot of people finding it hard to cope with, 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: