Global Chinwaggers
20 April, 2024, 16:43
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Chat Staff List Login Register  

Kiwi Roll Call

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kiwi Roll Call  (Read 947 times)
Souly
Enchantingly Mystical Sylph
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: 10 September, 2010, 05:20 »

While they are not the sort of earlier earthquakes that Christchurch has had, we have had 4 earthquakes here in Hawkes Bay over the past couple of days. (3.3, 3.8, 4.3 and 5.3). A friendly (?!) Mother Earth reminder that none of us are exempt! And that we should remain prepared.

I have always had an emergency kit - loooooooooong before it was fashionable to do so, and most certainly it used to be a constant subject of ridicule by family, friends and others. Even here, in the past couple of years, when and as I fill large bottles with water and store them, my neighbours have actually given their giggles at my 'sillyness'. I wonder what they think now?!  Mind you, I did do a bit of updating yesterday - cycled the tinned food to make sure it's all fresh and ready for the next 6 months, checked the batteries etc.

Even WITH that in place, it is unnerving. One is never REALLY sure where to store this stuff safely. If it's in the garage, out of the sun, will the garage door open after an earthquake? If it's indoors, will the place still be standing? Will cupboard doors open? Will china cabinets fall and block access? Heck! Who knows?!

Culmination is, Mother Nature is a force to be reckoned with when she's really peeved! And no-one can predict HOW much she is going to throw her weight around when she does....so it's all speculation and relies heavily on luck and hope.

I rarely watch the news...it's mostly negative piffle that doesn't figure on my radar. But Christchurch is dear to my heart (I used to live and work there) and it is a beautiful city that has been totally changed...forever! I watch and listen to everything that is happening, with interest, love, angst, sorrow, joy, sadness...and this morning, even a darn good laugh! A man, whose house has moved a little, has painted on the side of his home "THIS HOUSE ROCKS!" What a wonderful sense of humour! Bless his lovely soul!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: