Global Chinwaggers
29 March, 2024, 10:15
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Chat Staff List Login Register  

Great Debate: Tea time

Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Loose leaf black tea
Teabags (black tea)
Green tea (loose or bags)
Herbal tea (loose or bags)
Other tea type
I don't drink tea!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Debate: Tea time  (Read 663 times)
DingBat
Forum Bat
Administrator

Good post? 7

Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: 20 June, 2009, 22:46 »

A nice, calm subject for our first 'Great Debate'! Wink

Please vote for your favourite and tell us why you choose the type of tea you drink.  You may choose up to three options, but don't forget to tell us about them! ;D

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pootsie
Perfect Of Or To Sight
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 4

Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2009, 03:09 »

Yes, I do drink tea, but I'm sure that anyone in the UK would gag at the way I do it.  I use teabags, the large family-sized ones, so the hubby and I can both have some.  I heat a few cups of water on the stove in a kettle, then plop the teabag into it, turn the heat down to 'low', then go about my business of brushing my teeth and dressing.  By the time I'm done with all that, the tea is steeped sufficiently.  Hey, I'm an ignorant American, we threw away tea in the Boston harbor.  Do they teach anything in the UK or Aussie schools about the Boston Tea Party?
Report Spam   Logged

Dance like nobody is watching! 
teejay

Good post? 0

Combination Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2009, 14:57 »

Hi Everyone
I love tea and Tetley is my tea of choice
There's just nothing like sitting down at the end of a long day with a hot cup of tea to relax you......of course... a piece of apple pie or lemon square with it always helps.   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
jewels

Good post? 0

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2009, 17:31 »

I must be one the rare 'uk'ers' who doesn't like tea.
Report Spam   Logged
Vixie
Virtually Iridescent eXoticist

Good post? 0

« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2009, 02:56 »

Do they teach anything in the UK or Aussie schools about the Boston Tea Party?

I seem to remember hearing something about it while dozing during lessons. Roll eyes

A few years ago, while staying in a hotel in Newquay, Cornwall, we were disgusted to find sachets of instant tea in the bedroom, but by the end of the week we were converts and I always buy it now. I also buy teabags for Ms Vix, who doesn't like instant tea and green tea for myself. And I have a jar of instant chai latte, which I love.

Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Enchantingly Mystical Sylph
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2009, 15:50 »

I use teabags (OH NO, I hear my long-passed British mother saying!!!) for all my general daily tea types, and my herbals teas are either fresh or dried herbs...personal stocks, grown from my own garden.

I drink 1 or 2 cups of green tea a day (with lemon) and anything else is usually black tea. Once or twice a week, I will have a beautiful spiced chai...delish!

When called for, through illness or imbalance, I use herbal teas, made by my own fair hand.

OK...the problem though, these days is...

Once upon a time a black tea was tea with no milk...having it black!
        Now, of course, there is green tea, and so black tea has to be differentiated from green. So...some cafes get a little confused...especially if you ask for your tea to be white! hahaha
Report Spam   Logged
Princess Eithel
Sunny, Centsible Siren

Good post? 3

« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2009, 14:27 »

Tea is Tea, but I love my Coffee!!!   Wink

I really don't have anything to say.  I just wanted to make my 50th post before I went to bed.  [insert coffee mug smilie here]
Report Spam   Logged

Sheila248
Chinwaggers

Good post? 6

« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2009, 17:10 »

I have a cup of tea first thing in the morning before breakfast.

I'm now hooked on those sachet coffees - caramel latte, hazelnut and mocha.
Report Spam   Logged

Pootsie
Perfect Of Or To Sight
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 4

« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2009, 23:43 »

An interesting thing about tea... In the US, in the north, if you ask for just 'tea' in a restaurant, it is presumed that you want hot tea.  You will get a cup, a pot of hot water, a tea bag (sometimes it will have already been put into the hot water for you), and a wedge of lemon.  Down here in the South (I'm in Alabama), if you ask for 'tea', it is presumed to be iced tea.  You will be asked if you want 'sweet tea' or 'unsweet tea'.  I've always believed that you could add your own sugar, but if you ask a true Southerner (I was raised in the north), they swear that sweet-tea is completely different from tea that you sweetened after it was served to you.  Apparently, they add a TON of sugar to the tea when it is hot, then after it has cooled down, they will add the ice.  At any rate, when I drink it, I add so much lemon to it that it is more like lemonade than it is tea.  WHEW, that ended up being longer than I thought it would be....... Blink
Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #9 on: 16 August, 2009, 06:26 »

Lol 'tea' seems to have some odd traditions attached to it over the years/decades/centuries.

Here are some interesting facts about tea...

Tea is the second most consumed beverage in the world, playing second fiddle only to water. It is in almost every culture, and there are literally thousands of varieties.

Some historical notes suggest that tea has been a warm beverage companion to man for over five thousands years! Other recordings state only three thousand...but either way, that is a long time.

There are four main types of tea which are, white, green, oolong, and black, all which are born from the same species of plant.

Common health facts about tea show us that it is rich in antioxidants, can shield our immune systems, stop infection, and even help us shed some pounds!

Camellia sinensis is the scientific classification for the tea plant.

One of the most interesting and surprising facts about tea for newcomers is that ALL types of tea, white, green, oolong, and black, come from the same plant, the Camellia sinensis. What determines a type of tea's "color" is the processing the newly picked leaves will undergo before they reach your cup.

Camellia is native to most of Southeast Asia, but is cultivated throughout the world in other countries such as Japan and India. It is even grown in some areas of the United States as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Pootsie
Perfect Of Or To Sight
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 4

« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2009, 01:20 »

Hmmm, interesting, Souly.  I've never heard of white tea, except for hearing you mention it.  Since the main types are all from the same plant, can we assume that they all have the same healthy qualities?
Report Spam   Logged

Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #11 on: 17 August, 2009, 04:46 »

Not all health benefits from all teas are equal. Things change through the processing of the leaves.

Substances inherent to tea leaves include essential plant oils, caffeine and polyphenols.

Facts about tea reveal that the oils provide the tea’s aroma, caffeine serves a stimulant, and the polyphenols are attributed to a tea’s anti-oxidant properties.

The type of fermentation process tea leaves undergo determines the level and impact of the chemicals found in various tea types.

For example, black tea, which undergoes complex fermentation, evokes a strong scent and has the heaviest concentration of caffeine.

On the other hand, white tea, with its limited processing is best known for healing and protective properties that remain in the leaves from polyphenols.

Green and oolong are known to feature moderated levels of caffeine, aroma and antioxidant properties, which ties to their partially fermented processing.
Report Spam   Logged
ozzie_mozzie
Over Zig-Zagged In Energy

Good post? 0

Apple User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2009, 08:30 »

I love a cup of tea every morning, teabags for me, so convenient.  Once or twice a week I slip in a green tea and only recently I have bought white tea. They say the antioxidant qualities of white tea is so much greater then green, so if I am feeling haggered or run down I slip one in.

A memory from years ago has just come to me .... as a kid we would go out to a friends farm, and because they were so far out fresh milk was not kept, so our tea was made with condensed milk (YUM) it come in a tube I recall.  So it wasn't the endless hours of running free in the paddocks exploring, riding horses and chasing calves, it is the memory of Mrs Bird's carnation teas that stick to mind. Smile
Report Spam   Logged
Souly
Foxy Chinwaggers

Good post? 10

« Reply #13 on: 08 September, 2009, 14:08 »

OK...some tea jokes

What does a teapot say to it's lover?
O, dajarling!

Who is the teapot's favorite actress?
Tea Leoni.

Why did the tea bag have to do it's laundry?
Because it was stained.

Why was the cow teapot late to the party?
Because she was decafinated!

How long does it take to ship tea from China by slow boat?
Oolong Time!
Report Spam   Logged
smiliekiwi
Sizzling Hot Enthusiast
Global Moderator

Good post? 8

« Reply #14 on: 08 September, 2009, 19:26 »

GROOOAAANNNNNNN!  !

Lol

Report Spam   Logged

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
Desmodus

Good post? 0

« Reply #15 on: 18 September, 2009, 22:48 »

Oh my I've just discovered this thread.

I LOVE white tea. I just recently tried a brand called Numi in a variety called White Rose Velvet Garden... it's white tea with rose petals. It's heavenly, I can't get enough of it.

Since white tea is so delicate it turns out better with water that is not quite fully boiled or let it cool down a bit after it's reached a boil. And white tea only needs to be steeped for a couple minutes otherwise it can get bitter.

Some favorite companies and flavors:

The Republic of Tea - Ginger Peach black tea. http://www.republicoftea.com/
Several good flavors from the Stash tea company. http://www.stashtea.com/
Yogi tea - Egyptian Licorice Mint. http://www.yogiproducts.com/
Celestial Seasonings - Imperial White Peach. http://www.celestialseasonings.com/

And the nice thing about all of these is they aren't terribly expensive and several stores sell them locally if I don't feel like ordering them off the internet.

General Foods International Coffees makes a powdered instant Chai tea latte that is really yummy.

me love tea oolong time  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Vixie
Virtually Iridescent eXoticist

Good post? 0

« Reply #16 on: 18 September, 2009, 23:33 »

After reading Des's post I've realised how boring my tea drinking habits are. Tea with rose petals sounds heavenly! And Egyptian Licorice Mint would certainly be different ... wonder if they sell it at Tesco!
Report Spam   Logged

Xyling

Good post? 0

« Reply #17 on: 23 September, 2009, 03:48 »

My wife is Chinese, and they know a thing or two about teas, so I've had some education.

Generally, I've never been a big drinker of black tea. These days, I try to drink green tea. They have quality high density instant powders which can be better than the bagged kind because the production preserves some of the natural beneficial elements. I also drink ginseng tea, just sliced pieces of ginseng root dropped into the tea- very expensive for quality stuff.

Chai tea in bags- haven't found one I like. I like chai tea a lot, but haven't been able to make it myself to my liking, could use help on that one.

Ginger tea. Korean companies make good crystalized powder, but the honey sweetened syrup in a jar with chunks of ginger is better.

As for black tea, I drink it cold with sugar and lemon!
Report Spam   Logged
Xyling

Good post? 0

« Reply #18 on: 23 September, 2009, 03:53 »

An interesting thing about tea... In the US, in the north, if you ask for just 'tea' in a restaurant, it is presumed that you want hot tea.  You will get a cup, a pot of hot water, a tea bag (sometimes it will have already been put into the hot water for you), and a wedge of lemon.  Down here in the South (I'm in Alabama), if you ask for 'tea', it is presumed to be iced tea.  You will be asked if you want 'sweet tea' or 'unsweet tea'.  I've always believed that you could add your own sugar, but if you ask a true Southerner (I was raised in the north), they swear that sweet-tea is completely different from tea that you sweetened after it was served to you.  Apparently, they add a TON of sugar to the tea when it is hot, then after it has cooled down, they will add the ice.  At any rate, when I drink it, I add so much lemon to it that it is more like lemonade than it is tea.  WHEW, that ended up being longer than I thought it would be....... Blink

Chinese restaurants may give you black tea ("hong se de cha" they actually call it red tea) or chysanthemum tea which will be a pot with hot water and the flowers floating in it or jasmine tea. They never seem to lead on to which one they will give you but generally, cheaper restaurants that cater to lots of non-asians will give you black tea, and authentic restaurants will do Jasmine or Chrysanthemum.
Report Spam   Logged
smiliekiwi
Sizzling Hot Enthusiast
Global Moderator

Good post? 8

« Reply #19 on: 23 September, 2009, 05:31 »

Ahh Pootsie's comment on HOT tea may have enlightened me.
My brother in law's partner, when I asked her how she liked her tea, told me. (can't remember now, black with a couple of sugars I think) then she emphasised hot
I thought she was scared it'd be luke warm or something,  so I made sure the water was boiling as I poured it.
Report Spam   Logged

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: